Home Chi sono Tutte le ricette. Più o meno in ordine Fonti di ispirazione Vuoi scrivermi? English Version

Asparagus, Leek and Fennel Soup

Thursday, April 28, 2011
Asparagus, Leeks and Fennel Soup

Inspired by World Earth Day of the past April 22nd, I thought I'd make something green myself. Can't go greener than this one...

Nibbling here and there, here are few simple advices to reduce environmental impact through small daily choices, which - on a large scale - can make a big difference:

Use fluorescent light bulbs, they consume less energy and last longer (that's an easy one, I got this);

Keep an eye on your air conditioning thermostat, trying to maintain the temperature not too low (is this a joke? air conditioning?);

Avoid stand-by, turning off completely all electric appliances such as TV, DVD, Blue Ray, Tivo, Modem, Satellite, Cable TV (TV? DVD? Tivo? Satellite?.....what's that?);

Turn off the lights when you're not using them (that's an easy one, I got this too);

Drive less, drive slowly, drive an hybrid if you can; (and what about those who don't drive at all? Two extra points, self-imposed :-) )

Eat less meat or avoid it altogether (super easy, until I've discovered this thing here, but I'm working on it);

Buy local, organic and seasonal products as much as possible (I got this: the Farmers' Market is my second home);

Use less paper, for instance printing on both sides in the office (it's easy, I'll commit myself starting tomorrow);

RECYCLE paper and - I'd add - also everything else recyclable (c'mon, it's easy);

Paper or plastic? Neither one, thanks. From now on, BYOB (=Bring Your Own Bag) (I got this! My super-size bag finally has a reason to be);

Shop at thrift stores or at garage sales (...I can't...I can't...I can't...luckily I've got two extra points for the car);

Buy clothes that are made with natural and sustainable fibers (...ehm...can I use the second point for the car?);

Walk, use your bicycle or take public transportation as much as you can (I GOT THIS ONEEEEEEE!!!);

Use natural soaps and detergents (half and half, I promise I'll commit to this one);

Reduce the amount of purchases and of products you're using (not considering cookbooks and kitchen gadgets, my purchases are down to zero. But kitchen gadgets, do they count?);

Filter tab water instead of buying bottled one (it's enough if I can drink a glass a day, but...is that any good??).

Joking apart, let's think about it. Oh, I forgot, the green recipe is below, but please, don't print it out.


Asparagus, leeks & Fennel
a Green Soup

for 4

asparagus, net 500 gr.
leeks 2
fennel 1/2 (about 200 gr.)
garlic 1 clove
lemon 1
vegetable stock
olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, dill to taste


Clean asparagus, discard the hard ends and cut them in pieces. Slice fennel and keep it aside. Slice leeks in thin rounds and saute them in a little olive oil with the garlic clove, adding some water if necessary. After about 10 minutes, add asparagus and fennel, grated lemon zest, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Cover with vegetable stock (or water), bring to boil and let it simmer for about 30 minutes until vegetables are tender. Season with some dill and two tablespoons of lemon juice. Puree in a blender, and adjust the taste with salt and pepper. Add some more lemon juice and dill, bring back to boil, and serve.

Post a Comment